Jesse

Sunday 18 March 2007

Epilogue

“Marta!” Jesse called to the wandering two-year-old. She stood up from her weeding and wiped the dirt off her hands to go after the little girl, who was getting her feet wet in the shallow water; but at the sound of her mother’s voice Marta turned and ran back to her without need of retrieval. Jesse couldn’t help smiling at the sight of her daughter’s dark curls bouncing against her rosy cheeks. She had been naughty, going in the water without asking, but she had come back, so Jesse only gave her a little scolding, and then lifted her high in the air, making her giggle.
“You are one dirty little girl!” she declared, and Marta understood that this was a good thing. “Your face is as dirty as Mommy’s hands,” she said, and held one up for her daughter to see.
“Mommy’s hands are dirty,” the little girl agreed, then opened her mouth and eyes wide in delight. “We need to go swimming!” she exclaimed, proud to have come to the logical conclusion herself.
Jesse laughed. “Yes, we do, but first Mommy has to pull these weeds out of the peas and carrots.”
“Can I help?” Marta asked.
Jesse doubted that the two-year-old would be able to tell the difference between the weeds and the vegetables, and was saved by the sound of a car pulling in the driveway.
“Daddy!” Marta shrieked, wiggling out of her mothers grasp.
Jesse let her go, and soon Michael came around the side of the house with the little girl in his arms, who was chattering away about everything she and Mommy had done that day. Michael listened intently, and his rapt attention could only be drawn away from his daughter by the sight of Jesse in overalls, her knees and elbows covered in dirt, and her hair tied up in a bandana. There was no room for his smile to grow wider, but as he walked toward her his eyes grew brighter. Jesse took his face in her dirty hands and kissed him soundly, while their daughter wrapped one chubby arm around each of their necks.
“Marta,” he said, bouncing her in his arms when his wife released him, “how would you like a baby brother or sister?”
Marta squealed in obvious delight.

19 comments:

Sole Source said...

Corin, I really enjoyed this book. I read it in one sitting. Some of the spiritual questions/issues are some of my own. Great read. Keep on writing!
~ Medina

atienolucy49 said...

Dear Corin, this is a powerful piece of writing... pulls me up short in my commitment as a Christian and right and wrong, questions about right to life, etc. Keep writing. When is your next online book?
Lucy

Corin Gillis said...

Thanks! My next book will come as soon as I finish writing it. I'm working on it this summer - it's hard to write and work at the same time, being a new teacher. But I'm going as fast as I can!

Anonymous said...

Corin-
This is better than half of the books I have paid for. You are extremely talented and I can tell you put a lot of hard work and time into this project.It paid off because this is some story. You should definitely try to get this published. I can tell you are a very strong Christian. It was entertaining and romantic but you kept the focus where it belonged. on God. Your characters where very life like and believable. I enjoyed reading their story. Keep writing. I hope to read more of your work.
-licia

Anonymous said...

I Really like this book. You did a great job in writing it. Once I started, I couldn't stop reading it. Its really good to sit down and read a well written Christian book, and I'm encouraging you to keep writing!! Thanks for sharing this book with us, best of luck in your future edeavors.

Anonymous said...

I just read this book and I really enjoyed it. It is definitely one of the best books I've ever read, and I'm glad there are people like you that can write such awesome things.

God Bless you

Unknown said...

This is the second time I've read your book.
I LOVE IT! It is so good. I love the characters and the situations they go through. Your book makes me laugh, cry and reminds me that no matter what God loves us.
Keep up the good work.

banks said...

this is a lovely book....especially since some of the incidents in here are ones i can totally relate with. keep writing for the glory of God's name!!! :) looking forward to your next book!!

Anonymous said...

This is one emotionally and spiritually charged read.totally enjoyed it!thank you

KMLV said...

Fantabulous!learnt a lot

Kim Stedman said...

An epiphany of hope, courage and understanding. Excellent Corin.

Bless said...

Hi Corin,

Thoroughly enjoyed this book . Jesse and the way story moved.. her questions and her thoughts left me wanting to know her more. I'm not asking for a sequel but books like these are really needed. Do Continue to right.. looking forward to read another book by you soon. May God bless you and the gift you have abundantly.

Bless
India

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the inspiration Corin. As a rape victim, I've struggled with doubts about God's love for me. Like Jesse in your publication God has sent a wonderful man and this book to help guide me. Thank you very much.. Be blessed... and don't ever stop writing. Your work is God's instrument to inspire others.

Emancipation of the Soul said...

Great book. Couldn't stop till I finished it. It gives a new definition of love, friendship, marriage and forgiveness. Loved it. Please keep writing.

Anonymous said...

This was simply beautiful and inspiring.I learnt a lot from it and I really enjoyed the wonderful messages of friendship, family, love and marriage.You nailed it!God bless you for being such a blessing!please keep writing.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. A faith booster.

Anonymous said...

This book isnt a fantasy,it descibes d real world.

Bumble bee said...

this book was really intresting with good morals and sound christian teachings

Anonymous said...

It was good. Even I -- sometimes -- couldn't understand why bad things happened to good people. But I understand now. And, after all, it brings you closer to God.

I enjoyed this. It was simple, and you decorated it with an issue that many people are facing: doubting the love of God.

I might disagree with some things, like Jesse's reaction to the sin both Ray and Jasmine committed. She seemed to put the blame on Ray completely. I am not defending the guy; but Jasmine was involved as much as she was. Fine, she was looking for love -- but she should have had enough sense than to sleep with a guy about whom, I must say, she had a bad feeling since the start. What I am trying to say is that both committed a sin, and they were equally involved in it. Their emotions or feelings do not determine who was more wrong; the thing is, both were in it -- willingly -- and both were wrong. One did it because he wanted to, and other did it because she was lost; nobody was pressurized. So, it seems unfair that Jesse feels that Ray was more at fault and Jasmine was less at fault.

Maybe I just misunderstood what you were trying to convey, and if I did, I apologize; but that's how I saw it, and I shared my thoughts.

Anyway, thanks for the book. I was pulled out of boredom after reading this. A good work, I should say again.

God bless you with His Guidance and His Protection.

Bye! :)